Here are five reasons to break the cycle immediately:
- The first thing to realize is this: the idea that if you take a break from your life and go into treatment everything is going to fall apart is an illusion. Avoiding treatment because you need to fix your problems is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. The iceberg is still ahead, and only changing course—now!—will avoid the inevitable.
- Alcoholism is acknowledged as a progressive disease. You wouldn't leave diabetes or cancer unchecked, would you?
- Whatever you're afraid of that's blocking you from checking into rehab is less dangerous to you than continuing without help.
- If you're on the cusp of a decision about something like this, you've clearly been experiencing a lot of pain. Alcoholism is a disease of loneliness, isolation, anxiety, depression, and fear. Haven't you suffered enough?
- There really is something on "the other side." Recovering alcoholics describe their experience in terms of "miraculous," and of having been "transformed." This is available to you.