Battling Back Anxiety
- Take elongated breaths. Have you ever noticed that, when you’re really stressed, you tend to take short, quick breaths? Well, by forcing yourself to take deeper and longer ones, you can actually cause some of that panic to subside.
- Ease back on the caffeine. Caffeine (and also sugar) works as a stimulant; the less you have, the less jittery you’ll feel.
- Calm your body. Yoga poses and meditation apps can both be useful tools.
- Get plenty of sleep. The better rested you are, the less susceptible your mind will be to fits of anxiety. Aim for a minimum of seven hours each night.
- Take time for mindfulness. Taking a walk through your neighborhood and simply observing your surroundings—or writing in a gratitude journal—can work wonders.
- Get an analysis of your problems. There’s a reason why you’re experiencing overwhelming anxiety. If you haven’t yet talked to a doctor about it, please do so right away.