A little bit of kindness can go a long way. You never know when a simple compliment will change someone’s life. They may have been having a horrible day, but seeing you smile and show your appreciation for what they’ve done could be just what they need to keep pushing forward.Being kind to others can also benefit you. It can make you feel more positive and motivated to know that you’re making a difference. Negativity and isolation can lead to depression and poor decision making. But making the choice to engage with others and be more kind can help you to live a happier life and see the bright side. It can also have a ripple effect and inspire others to pay it forward and be more kind to people that they meet.
- Say please and thank you to show your appreciation and gratitude. This is a common courtesy that many overlook.
- Hold doors for people even if it means waiting a few moments longer.
- Smile when interacting with someone or even just passing people on the street. So often people walk with their head down looking miserable, so hold your head high and exude happiness.
- Lend a hand and help someone load their groceries into their car, reach something on a top shelf, or pick up items they’ve dropped.
- Compliment others just because. A few positive words could turn their whole day around.
- Volunteer when you can, whether it’s at a shelter, food bank, non-profit, or your child’s school.
- Call a friend or family member just to check in and see how they are. Many people are used to only hearing from people when they want or need something.
- Think before you speak and decide if what you want to say is helpful or hurtful.