Hosting a Party That Everyone Can Enjoy
- First, make sure you have a lot of drink options, including some non-alcoholic ones. Make sure the drinks are properly labeled so that there is no question which ones contain alcohol and which ones don’t.
- Ensure that the party isn’t just about drinking. Have some other activities planned that people can enjoy, with or without an alcoholic beverage in hand.
- Alert guests to any “hidden” alcohol. That doesn’t mean alcohol you have hidden in your pantry, but rather alcohol that’s used in any of the food you’ve prepared.
- Check in with your sober friends to ask if you can help them with anything, but don’t hover. It’s important to strike a balance here—don’t ignore them, but also don’t be overbearing.
- If possible, always invite multiple people who are sober, or perhaps some people who simply don’t like to drink, so that they can enjoy some solidarity together.