Guidelines for Transitional LivingHere’s our advice:
- Don’t go until you’re ready! Complete your rehab program, and only pursue transitional living when your counselor or therapist feels you’re prepared for it.
- Pick the right transitional living community—a place where you feel comfortable and at peace. Ask your therapist for recommendations.
- Ask the right questions. Make sure you know the success rates, typical length of stay, qualifications of the on-site staff, etc.
- Pack smartly. Remember clothes, toiletries, devices and chargers, and reading material. Also consult the packing guidelines for your transitional living program.
- Make sure you know what the rules are—including “quiet hours,” the need to check in each day, etc.
- Also ask about your duties. Most transitional living communities will assign you some light chores to keep the place running smoothly.
- As you enter transitional living, keep going to therapy sessions or support groups as directed. Remember, recovery is a journey!