What to Ask Your Doctor About PainkillersIf your doctor prescribes you pain management drugs, be ready to ask these questions:
- Is this medication classified as an opioid? Is there a track record of this drug leading to substance abuse or addiction issues?
- Are there alternative, non-habit-forming medications that might work just as well?
- Why do I need this medication? What makes it the right choice for me?
- Are there non-prescription options for managing pain—including stretches, physical therapy, or simple lifestyle changes?
- If I take this medication, how frequent should the doses be? And, for how long should I use this drug?
- What should I do with unused medication when I no longer need it?
- What can I do to minimize potential side effects of this medication? And are there any red flags I should watch for when I take it?