Not all intensive outpatient programs are created equally. There are differences between the various rehab centers in terms of quality of care, experience, credibility, and facility amendments. As such, it helps to know the different characteristics that make intensive outpatient programs quantifiably good. These characteristics will narrow down your search for the best rehab center that can cater to your or your loved one’s needs.
Characteristics Of Good IOPs
Expertly trained staff
The staff are the backbone of rehab centers. They are responsible for the smooth operations of the business. They also closely interact with the patients which means that they must possess the proper set of skills and personalities that will help the patients through recovery. Otherwise, untrained staff would easily get frustrated when dealing with patients and this could cause setbacks to their recovery.
Expertly trained staff is essential because they will be perfectly capable of running operations and catering to the patients’ needs. As the patient enters the doors of rehab, they should be greeted with someone who is empathetic, caring, and welcoming. Aside from their personalities, the staff must be licensed and professionally trained. All the nurses must be registered. All the physicians must be licensed. The clinicians must be accredited and the supervisors should possess their supervisory licenses.
There are third-party agencies that issue accreditations to rehab centers to ensure that these places are operating under industry standards. The top agencies responsible for accrediting rehab centers include the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JHACO), the Council on Accreditation (COA), and the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). Rehab centers will only be accredited if they are following medical and clinical protocols. A representative from the agency usually visits the rehab center and checks everything before granting accreditation. Additionally, there are periodic check-ups from these agencies so the accreditation status is updated.
A good rehab center provides a treatment plan that exactly matches what the patient needs. This starts with a personal assessment by a counselor after which there will be options to be provided to the patient. This is in recognition of the fact that no two patients are exactly alike. Addiction varies in terms of severity, root cause, and other factors. As such, there is no fixed treatment that will work for everyone.
A good program should be adjusted to the patient’s needs. There are different types of treatment involved in IOP. These include:
· Medication management: The patients will be evaluated for potential medication needs.
· Individual therapy: The patient has the opportunity to sit down with a therapist to discuss their personal issues and to find ways to work through them. There will be continuous sessions for continuous recovery. These sessions are also opportunities to privately discuss personal issues that the patient may be too uncomfortable to disclose in group therapy.
· Group therapy: Group therapy sessions are managed by a counselor and it allows patients from different stages of recovery to come together and discuss their journeys. These sessions also focus on building essential skills, forming relapse prevention plans, psychoeducation, and formation of emotional support networks.
· Family therapy: Family therapy is an essential part of recovery since it solves family issues. Addiction does not only affect the patient but their loved ones and their family dynamics as well. These sessions will help rebuild trust and improve communication skills so that the patient can be better supported on their road to recovery.
· Support groups: Addiction support groups are somewhat similar to group therapy, with the exception of support groups’ emphasis on the formation of social networks.
Each patient will be individually assessed, after which a combination of the aforementioned types of treatment will be prescribed. This ensures that the patient’s target areas will be remedied with evidence-based treatment plans. Their progress will be periodically monitored by their therapist and this shall be the basis of further adjustments to their treatment plans.
The rehab center must be kept clean and sanitized at all times. An unkempt environment is a telltale sign of poor management. It will also come off as disorganized or leery which could cause further discomfort to the patients. Patients deserve a clean facility that relaxes them and is conducive with healing.
Addiction recovery is a lifelong journey. It doesn’t end when the patient gets cleared from IOP since there are still aftercare programs to consider. Aftercare programs ensure relapse prevention and these ongoing recovery efforts could help the patient address problems related to their relationships, housing, transportation, finances, legal involvement, childcare, and more. These allow them to resume a relatively normal life so that they won’t slip back to the stressful situation that may cause them to relapse
Seacliff Alcohol and Drug Rehab prides itself in offering the best intensive outpatient programs in CA. The aforementioned standards are met and more. Contact us today to learn more about our treatment programs.