Depression is one of the most common mental health disorders in the United States. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) estimates that within the past year, around 16 million adults experienced at least one major depressive episode. Depression can affect anyone. Although depression is a very widespread and prevalent condition, there are ways that you can be proactive in keeping depression at bay and boosting your mental health.
- Look for the positives: Make a conscious effort to see the good in each day. Write down two or three things that you are grateful for, no matter how small they may be. When you’re feeling down, go back and reread this gratitude journal for a pick-me-up.
- Surround yourself with positive people: The people you associate with can have a major impact on your mood. Make friends who are generally positive people and help you to keep a brighter outlook – people who can make you laugh and see things from a different perspective.
- Eat a healthy diet: What you eat can also affect your mood. Focus on eating a well-balanced diet and incorporating foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids and folic acid. These are thought to be natural mood boosters.
- Stay physically active: Exercise releases endorphins which are natural mood boosters, and staying active also helps to burn off excess energy and stress. This can support you in feeling better overall and combatting depression.
- Set goals for yourself: Giving yourself something to work toward can keep you in a more positive state of mind. Focus on setting attainable goals for the short and long term to keep you motivated. Reach your goal? Set new ones!
- Seek treatment: Therapy or counseling can be an effective way to work through the challenges of depression and live a more fulfilling and enjoyable life.
There is no shame in admitting that you need help for depression – it is a sign of strength and healing. Seacliff can support you in overcoming depression and substance use disorders through dual diagnosis treatment. Make your mental health a priority and take steps to identify and seek treatment for depression and substance use at Seacliff.Make the choice to overcome depression and addiction today by contacting Seacliff Recovery Center.